Thursday 12 March 2015

Decisions decisions

I've got the sculpture all finished, I took this picture at work as they have a neutral green back cloth and decent photographic lights. They have software that will remove the green background too, but I couldn't be bothered to do it.
I tried some pics with my old camera, it's fewer pixels but has a bigger lens. It still gives that effect whereby the verticals at end are angled, I s'pose its due to getting close and the image being a fairly wide angle. Dunno if it would be better shot from a distance with zoom. I can't really be bothered to check it out, as the eye and brain compensate for this anyway.

I'm trying to pick a bow to use at Avalon at the weekend. I still have a bit of a twinge in my back between the shoulders so I'm looking at the lower draw weights 40# rather than 45-50#
My shooting has been all over the place and erratic. I also noticed my neck was hurting a little.
Taking stock and looking at my form  I noticed my stance was getting more and more closed (e.g my back is facing the target slightly) this has been something I do to help prevent my main fault of throwing my bow hand and arm to the left.
This is a classic case of adding another fault to cover the first!
So now I've been trying to make sure my stance is right, but without over thinking and spoiling the rest of my shot, also trying to follow through and stay on target rather than snatching the bow hand away.

It's fatal to try and change too much, and I'm just trying to maintain my relaxed form. Putting a strip of masking tape vertically up the target and aiming at that showed an improvement in horizontal spread once I'd corrected my stance.
Still not sure what bow to use. If I'm missing, I only have to pick up Twister and I'll hit the target, but having hit it once, I can go back to another bow and hit it.
All about confidence and not being conscious of "ooooh I'm shooting a different bow".
I may take a couple of bows and decide on the day, the deflex/reflex flight/field bow, Monkey bow and twister are all in the running.
Don't think I can manage Twister all day, but maybe I could shoot it in the morning... but what if it's cold?.... Ha, you see? The perils of overthink.
Monkey bow is such a laugh, I may go with that to give me a relaxed fun days shooting.
I can also annoy everyone else by going "Ooooh Ooooh Ahhhhh Ahhhh Ahhhh"
every time I get a first arrow kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment