I made a new string for the reworked bow, taking the bracing height up from a rather low 5 1/2" to 5 3/4". The bow was marked up as 6" max but it also had 30" max draw, so even going to 6" brace at a normal 28" draw would be no problem.
I shot 6 arrows through it to let the string settle and get a feel of the bow. I then tied on a nocking point and went back with just one arrow for my "one arrow test"... no messing about aiming, just bring it up and loose.
I think it passes!
The bow looks a lot less tired now, I'll buff up the nocks, re-write the poundage and give it a good waxing.
I hadn't shot it before I worked on it as I didn't trust the string, but after this work it certainly feels like a good bow at a nice weight, I don't suppose it's lost much speed, and it it now gets drawn to a full 28" rather than the previous short snatched loose, I expect the owner will find the cast better and more consistent.