Saturday 25 January 2014

Derebyshire Yew Braced

I did some work on the bow this morning, but couldn't quite get the limbs back far enough at 100# to get a short string on it.  The bow is so long I had to make another tillering string last night!
The weather was good so I went to the club for the end of month 3D shoot. I was a bit rusty and it took a few targets to get my eye in.
My shot of the day was a skinny little cheeky standing Meerkat at about 8-9 yards. Missed the damn thing first time round. Second time round we were only taking one arrow at each target. I settled myself, nicely lined up and let fly, I got the horizontal alignment perfect but shot low and the arrow thumped into a rotting log of Silver Birch that the Meerkat was standing behind...
"Oh dear I seem to have shot low" I said, or words to that effect.
We approached the target to find my arrow had penetrated the log completely and skewered the Meerkat nicely in the groin!
That's one advantage of having a bow with a bit of punch to it. I was shooting Twister, may fave' bow 47# at 28", but it's pretty fast.
I got home and worked on the Derbyshire Yew some more, checking the thickness taper on the limbs and eventually got it flexing enough to get a shorter sting on it.
Now it's braced I'll have a good look over it and take it back further V cautiously. I won't just wind it straight back to 100# as that will be putting a lot more force on the bow now it's braced.
Last Year I had a warbow made from spliced billets, It had been winched back to 100#  and beyond on a long string several times, but when it was braced and I started winching it back, it exploded at 100#.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/warbow-explodes.html

I've just tentatively winched it back to 80# and it's drawing 19". You can see how counter-intuitive it is, one minute 100# is just getting it to brace on a long string, then all of a sudden a short string gets it back 19" at 80# ! Hardly surprising that beginners make under-weight bows!

No comments:

Post a Comment