Friday 23 August 2013

Good Glue Up

Whew, I took the wraps off this morning. I gave it overnight rather than rushing to see if it was good last night. Most glues benefit from a longer curing time.
It looks just about right, slight hint of reflex, less being apparent on the limb which was deflexed, but that's to be expected.
The glue line looks good, you can see the ample squeeze out. When cleaned up the glue line is barely visible, that's well over full size in the pic. The shaggy edge to the 'boo is the masking tape still covering it, handy for marking out the bow and protecting the boo.

For my own information I mixed up 400gn of Resintite with 200gn of water which was just about the right quantity. I'd mixed the same first time but only used about 2/3 of it.

I've rasped off the excess boo, taking care to rasp from boo towards the Yew to avoid tearing off any splinters. I used my old cabinet rasp as the glue is rather hard and I save my new rasp for clean wood. I've marked a centre line and I'll be cleaning it up ready to flex on the tiller. I'll glue on a temporary overlay on the tips and leave a little extra width, this will allow some adjustment of string line if necessary. The nock can be cut into the overlay rather than the sides of the tips, this maximises adjustment room.

No comments:

Post a Comment