I've been busy over the last week or so building a new bench in the garage for a lathe. I got one off E-Bay, bigger than the tiny one I got a while back. This one is more sturdy with a 19" bed, should easily be man enough for big crossbow bolt heads, nuts etc. I sold the tiny one having added a top slide and new belt for a small profit which helps towards re-furbishing the new one.
back to the bows. Here's a couple of pics of the Beltane bow, the tips are very twisted.
I'm toying with the idea of removing about 6" from the tips and splicing in stiff slim levers set angled forward like a horse bow. I might even incorporate string bridges to try to get a very late let off in draw weight, in the manner of a compound.It's fun to try some daft stuff and this bow is never going to be a thing of great beauty or use. I may heat treat the belly too.
The danger of loosing 6" is that the remaining limb will have to work too hard, however the lack of set indicates I have a little to play with. You can also see the inner 1/3 of the right limb isn't doing much at the moment.
I've rasped down the tips to make them thin and flat so that they'd take a radical huge recurve. They can then be narrowed and have thin strips added to the belly side to get the stiffness back. I've done the steaming and also taken out some twist while I had the steamer going. Pics tomorrow.