Sunday 22 May 2011

Hazel Bow

I can't win 'em all.
The Hazel bow is looking good, it still has a hint of recurve at the tips, but I've spotted some chrysals (compression fractures) on the belly, they look to run deep too.
It's about 40 pounds at 28" but the stiff tips effectively make the working limb shorter and increase the stress.
The chrysals go diagonally across the belly and are visible on the edge of the bow, appearing to penetrate to about half way through.
I think I went a bit mad on the heat treating and also tried to make the bow too narrow. Changing too many things from the proven design is a mistake, my scientific/engineering background should have stopped me trying too many things at once, but hey, this is fun not work!
Hmmm ok the bow looks pretty but would you rather have a wider bow with a bit of set, or a narrow one with no set and chrysals?
You don't get ow't for now't (translation for anyone outside the UK 'you don't get anything for nothing')!
I shall press on with it and see how it performs and how long it lasts. The problem is on the lower limb, so maybe I'll need some crotch protection!
A while back someone asked if I make mistakes and get failures... well that's a 'yes'.
It just makes me realise how 'right' my little favourite Hazel bow is.

No comments:

Post a Comment